Author: Artem Dorofeev, Head of SEO-card digital-agency Original Works
Since 2016, Google strongly recommends the use of https-protocol. Since 2017 sites on the http-protocol began to be marked as unsafe.
It took more than 2 years, but not all rush to go to the secure protocol. The main arguments against: additional costs, the drawdown of the move, there is no need. Although according Yandeks.Radara already 89% of the traffic in runet transmitted via https, the number of sites using a secure protocol, much less ( only 66% of the 10,000 most popular websites in Russia it is used). It follows a simple conclusion: The more traffic a site has, the more likely that it is already using HTTPS.
In this article we want to talk about the situation with https at the moment, and there is a sense in 2019 to join the "powers that be" to use a secure protocol.
Https-protocol designed to protect against interception of sensitive information (usernames, passwords, data cards). For sites where data are transferred - using https it is necessary, first of all to protect their users. Here lies the first misconception: "My site is not confidential information, he did not need protection." Far from it: secure protocol also protects against content spoofing, install a third-party advertising, the cookie leakage. Therefore, we can say with certainty that the use of a secure connection will be useful to all.
1. Directly data protection.
2. Evaluation of the protected compound in the browser (increases the trust of users)
3. The mark in issue Yandex (used with March 2019); increases CTR on search
4. Used as a ranking factor in Google
5. Can be used as the ranking factor in Yandex
1. Possible drawdown position while moving to Yandex
2. Possible drawdown of positions while moving to Google
3. The need to pay for the minutes
At the moment, there are ways to avoid all of these disadvantages. Let's see how this can be done.
Yandex in the last two years has made several improvements that allow the transfer without loss of traffic:
· Increased frequency of search engine database update (on average 3-4 times a day);
· Reworked processing mechanism redirects (page carrying redirection is not removed from the output to redirect indexing purposes);
· Accelerated the process of moving on redirect (before such a move could take more than a month, now - days);
· Added processing of robots.txt redirects (if robots.txt redirects to robots.txt, read the rules of the target redirect).
When properly configured to move the risk of loss of traffic from Yandex is minimal.
To move to setup a 301 redirect, you can use the <link> tag with the attribute rel = "canonical" a reference to the page of the site with https-protocol. Google takes into account the cross-domain "kanonikaly" before, but Yandex started in the spring of 2019. Using the <link> tag with the attribute rel = "canonical" to avoid a temporary drawdown in Google, which occurs if only configure the 301 redirect.
In addition, there are free SSL-certificates (eg, Let's Encrypt). Some hosting also support automatic renewal of such certificates, it is possible to "plug in and forget." Unlike free certificates from the toll in the types of encryption, duration and additional services. But all of the above advantages from https site and receives a free certificate.
In the presence of sub-domains you want to use WildCard certificate type that protects immediately all subdomains. In the case of the free certificate this limitation can be circumvented by issuing a separate subdomain for each free certificate.
the right move
The theme of the correct move to a secure protocol covered more than once, and is well documented, for example, in Yandeks.Pomoschi . The general steps:
1. SSL-certificate installation. From that moment on site will be accessible from both versions, with http and https.
2. Change all the links on the site, specifying therein https-protocol:
· Internal references on pages (can use relative references);
· References to the included files (CSS, JS, etc., you can use relative links);
· In the sitemap.xml;
· In robots.txt when showing Sitemap.
3. Setting paged 301 redirect from http to https version of the site or installation <link> tag with the attribute rel = "canonical" indicating the address in canonical page https protocol. However, even when using the move by using rel = "canonical", we recommend setting the 301 redirects after the move (a few weeks).
4. Site with https-protocol must be added to Yandex.Webmaster. In the "Indexing - Site Transfer" to select the check box "Add the HTTPS" and save the changes. Similarly, add the site with the updated protocol in Google Search Console.
5. Control of index pages with the new protocol. Depending on the site transfer can take anywhere from several days to several weeks.
Over the past few years we have transferred dozens of sites to HTTPS. Our experience shows that when properly configured, the risk of loss is minimal when moving. And getting a significant gain in the rankings is very likely.
To say that the entire increase in these projects caused by the transition to https certainly incorrect, as it is actively promoting projects where there are plenty of other work on SEO. But just to say that the traffic immediately after moving at least no less than before.
With the result that
Considering all the pros https-protocol; positive changes in the move processing by the search engines; the absence of subsidence (and more often - growth) are correctly set to move; the ability to connect the SSL certificate-free, it can be said that in 2019 to switch to https «exactly is time."